Sarcoids, of which there are 6 different types, are the most common form of equine skin tumour. One day each month, Rossdales Hertfordshire provides a mobile laser service for the treatment of sarcoids, which can be performed on your own yard.
Sarcoids are classed as low-grade fibrosarcomas and although common, sarcoids vary greatly in their size, appearance and way in which they respond to treatment. It is this variability that makes sarcoids such a challenge for vets. Diagnosis is sometimes very difficult and may require microscopic examination of the tissue to confirm the true nature of the sarcoid.
It is extremely important that sarcoids are carefully assessed prior to any treatment, as inappropriate treatment can cause a simple sarcoid to turn into something very nasty, very quickly.
Key facts about sarcoids:
- Sarcoids are very common
- Geldings appear to be more frequently affected.
- All equid species are susceptible, even donkeys and zebras.
- Although sarcoids are a type of tumour, they do not spread internally
- Some sites are more prone to developing sarcoids, including the chest, groin, sheath, belly and around the face
- There is no single entirely reliable treatment for the elimination of all types of sarcoids
Research, including some from Rossdales clinicians, has shown laser resection to be one of the most effective surgical techniques in preventing the recurrence of sarcoids.
Please note that your horse or pony will need to be examined by one of the Rossdales Hertfordshire vets prior to being booked onto one of our 'Laser Days' to ensure that it is a suitable candidate. Please contact the office on 01462 790221 for more information.
Back to news & events